The MINA Test Kitchen is located at 2120 Greenwich Street in the Cow Hollow/Marina neighborhood of San Francisco. The first-ever test kitchen for MINA Group, this 1,600-square-foot space serves as the R&D laboratory for James Beard Award-Winning Chef Michael Mina and his team of star chefs and beverage experts. The menu will continually evolve and showcase a variety of different cuisines and techniques through a series of public “pop-ups” before potentially making their way onto other MINA Group restaurant menus nationwide. Meanwhile, guests can enjoy the Test Kitchen’s latest creations with a series of pop-up dinners.
POSTCARDS FROM LA COSTIERA POP-UP DINNER SERIES
Premiered Saturday, November 12
Wednesdays – Saturdays | Dinner Only
Transporting guests to a sun-drenched seaside along the coast of Italy, POSTCARDS FROM LA COSTIERA will be a coastal Italian concept inspired by Chefs Michael Mina and Adam Sobel’s fall trip to Italy. Highlighting the abundance seafood from the Italian waterways, Chef Sobel’s menu will be composed of crudos, shellfish, pastas and whole fish. Served family style, Postcards from La Costiera’s menu will feature dishes such as Caviale e Mozzarella with osetra caviar, buratta, red onion, lemon on a warm zeppole; Tonno e Sangue Aracione, blue fin tuna with blood oranges, radishes and chilies; Carciofi e Mortadella, artichokes, mortadella, truffle vinaigrette and pistachio; Tagliatelle al Neron, a black pasta with octopus, clams, garlic and hot peppers; Dentice Rosso, red snapper served with choice of salsa verde, livornese, limone, or smoked butter; and Congelata Limone e Crema di Basilico Dolce, frozen Sorrento citrus and sweet basil cream. Tickets are $59 per person for the five-course menu with supplemental courses available for an additional price. Optional wine pairings will be available for $40, and will uniquely feature two options — Italian white wines or Italian red wines. The wine list will be curated with the various regions that Chefs Sobel and Mina visit in mind. A selection of Italian inspired cocktails and a rotating house-made limoncello program will round out the menu.
Previous POP-UP DINNER SERIES
A collaboration between Chef Michael Mina and cookbook author and lifestyle expert, Ayesha Curry, INTERNATIONAL SMOKE was the fourth pop-up dinner series at The MINA Test Kitchen presenting the lighter side of barbecue, grilled and smoked meats perfectly blending American barbecue tradition with flavors and techniques from around the world. It ran from Saturday, June 4, 2016 – to Saturday, November 5, 2016.
DIANE’S BLOODY MARY BRUNCH all started with Diane’s love affair with the Bloody Mary’s which began at an early age. The sweetness of the tomato, the heat from the spices, and that perfect touch of acidity from the lime conjure up happy memories of family clambakes at her Pop-Pop’s home. Through 25 years of making Bloody Marys, Diane has designed her own mix – hand-milled Russian Heirloom tomatoes, herbaceous Lovage and savory Dashi. Today, Diane Mina is considered a Bloody Mary connoisseur and was a judge at Drunken Tomato’s First Bloody Mary Festival in Brooklyn in 2014. During football season, you can find Diane at Michael Mina’s Tailgate in Levi’s Stadium, serving up her delicious Bloody behind her custom-designed “Diane’s Bloody Mary Bar” that showcases her style and personality. Fans say it’s the first stop they make before kick off. Together with husband and chef, Michael Mina, Diane tends to her one-of-a-kind “Tomato Vineyard” she affectionately calls Bella Mina Gardens.
A collaboration between James Beard Award-winning Sommelier Rajat Parr, Chef Vikrant Bhasin and MINA Group, THE COMPANY was a casual, high-energy restaurant where traditional Indian meets San Francisco. Serving up an array of delicious Indian small plates, the cuisine was complemented by creative, East Indies-inspired cocktails as well as a focused wine list highlighting Syrahs and Riesling. THE COMPANY Premiered Tuesday, March 1, 2016 and ran through May 2016.
In homage to the Italian-American renaissance of the early twentieth century, the second pop-up, dubbed, LITTLE ITALY transformed one to a time when Italian-Americans like Joe DiMaggio and Frank Sinatra made the headlines and rustic Italian-American cuisine was humble and meant to be shared. Heavily influenced by Chef Adam Sobel’s Italian upbringing, LITTLE ITALY’s menu featured dishes that he grew up cooking with his grandmother like baked clams oreganata, stuffed peppers, manicotti al forno and veal and eggplant parmesan. Reminiscent of his family’s Sunday Suppers where many generations of the Sobel family would gather around the table indulging in course after course, the experience at LITTLE ITALY introduced guests to a feast of delicious food made from the heart, accompanied by fine Italian wines and classic music that transports one back to yesteryears from the Rat Pack to Ella Fitzgerald. It ran from Saturday, October 31, 2015- to Sunday, February 14, 2016.
The first pop-up at The MINA Test Kitchen was Middle’terranea, a passion project between Chef Michael Mina and Chef/Partner Adam Sobel. The menu included dishes inspired by both chefs’ backgrounds – Mina was born in Egypt, and Sobel has roots on both sides of the Mediterranean. With a strong desire to explore their heritage while cooking food that is close to their hearts, the duo combines the flavors of Israeli, Turkish, Egyptian, and Lebanese cuisines with the California farm-to-table approach. It ran through Saturday, October 24, 2015
Menus & Events
POSTCARDS FROM LA COSTIERA
Wednesdays – Saturdays | Dinner Only
Transporting guests to a sun-drenched seaside along the coast of Italy, POSTCARDS FROM LA COSTIERA will be a coastal Italian concept inspired by Chefs Michael Mina and Adam Sobel’s fall trip to Italy. Highlighting the abundance seafood from the Italian waterways, Chef Sobel’s menu will be composed of crudos, shellfish, pastas and whole fish. A wine list based on various coastal regions, a selection of Italian inspired cocktails and a rotating house-made limoncello program will round out the menu.
Mina Test Kitchen is available to rent for private events. For more information please contact Jin Park at email@example.com
ADAM SOBEL Adam Sobel is the Chef and Partner at The MINA Test Kitchen in San Francisco. The first-ever test kitchen for MINA Group, the space serves as the R&D laboratory where the menu evolves to showcase a variety of cuisines and techniques through a series of pop-up dinners. Sobel graduated from the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. Upon graduation, he spent some time in Las Vegas, at Bradley Ogden, Guy Savoy, and then at RM Seafood. In 2011, Sobel moved to Washington, DC to serve as Executive Chef at Michael Mina’s BOURBON STEAK. Sobel’s innovative style landed the modern American steakhouse a three-star review in The Washington Post and consecutive high rankings in Washingtonian magazine’s annual ‘100 Best Restaurants’ issue in 2012 and 2013. In 2013, soon after he moved to San Francisco to take on the role of Executive Chef and Partner at RN74, Sobel was crowned the “King of Porc” at the prestigious Grand Cochon, in Aspen. In February 2014, Sobel was invited to serve as a guest judge on Food Network’s cooking competition show, “Chopped,” and in May 2014, RN74 received a stellar 3½ star review in the San Francisco Chronicle.
- WHEN IS THE MINA TEST KITCHEN OPEN? Pop-Up Dinners are held Wednesday through Saturday evenings from 5:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m .
- WHAT DOES “FAMILY-STYLE” CUISINE MEAN? Tables are individually served in a family-style manner, meaning most dishes are meant to be shared and are often presented on shared platters.
- HOW DO I GET TICKETS? Tickets can be purchased through MinaTestKitchen.com or the Resy App, which your can download Resy here.
- HOW MUCH ARE TICKETS? Tickets $59 per person, exclusive of tax, Resy fees ($.89 for the $59 ticket) and gratuity. Additional food menu supplements, wine and beer offerings will be available for an additional price.
- WHAT DOES A TICKET INCLUDE? A multi-course family-style tasting menu. An optional beverage pairing is available for purchase as well.
- WHAT ARE YOUR BEVERAGE OFFERINGS? For an additional cost, we offer a beverage pairing complimenting the menu’s cuisines. The classic wine pairing program is fantastic, the reserve wine pairing consists of wines that are higher quality and price. Both however, highlight some beautiful expressions of the Italian Coast. In addition to beer, wines by the glass and bottle and cocktails are also available.
- DO YOU ACCOMMODATE DIETARY RESTRICTIONS? We do our best to accommodate dietary restrictions with a minimum of 48 hours advance notice. To make any special dietary requests, please download the resy application here, click on your profile and enter the notes in your reservation.
- IS THE SPACE AVAILABLE FOR PRIVATE EVENTS? Yes. Mina Test Kitchen is available to rent for private events nightly. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DO YOU ACCOMMODATE LARGE PARTIES AT THE POP-UP EVENTS? For large party inquires of eight or more people, please email email@example.com.
- WHAT IS YOUR WALK-IN POLICY? We strongly encourage purchasing tickets however you may call us for a reservation or walk-ins are welcome.
- WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY? For a full refund, cancellations must be made no later than 48 hours prior to your ticket date. If cancellations are not made before that time, guests will be charged in full. You can also make changes to your reservation prior to 24 hours. To make a change or to cancel please download Resy here and click on your profile.
- ARE TICKETS TRANSFERRABLE? Yes. If you cannot make the ticked date, we will gladly accommodate another guest under your name.
- WHAT IS YOUR CORKAGE POLICY? We would love for you to experience our wine wine program curated by our Beverage Director, we do offer corkage at $35 per bottle.
- DO YOU HAVE VALET SERVICES? No we do not. However, street parking does exist and even more reliable is the Lombard Street Garage on 2055 Lombard Street (entrance is on Moulton, one block south of Lombard). We also encourage using Luxe Valet services www.luxevalet.com.
- DO YOU OFFER GIFT CARDS? Currently, we do not.
- WHY DO YOU REQUIRE TICKETS? Due to the limited space and time commitment, we want to make sure we fill every seat to foster a sense of convivial neighborhood dining. We feel that this experience is best delivered by ensuring seats are filled in advance of the dinners.
Still have questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org